Exercise 1: How would you trea a friend?
Please take out a sheet of paper and answer the following questions:
- Monday: First, think about times when a close friend feels really bad about him or herself or is really struggling in some way. How would you respond to your friend in this situation (especially when you’re at your best)? Please write down what you typically do, what you say, and note the tone in which you typically talk to your friends.
- Tuesday: Now think about times when you feel bad about yourself or are struggling. How do you typically respond to yourself in these situations? Please write down what you typically do, what you say, and note the tone in which you talk to yourself.
- Wednesday: Did you notice a difference? If so, ask yourself why. What factors or fears come into play that lead you to treat yourself and others so differently?
- Thursday: Write your keywords and words on a FlipChart as a makeshift. Could you imagine, in the future, with your team colleagues, friends and family in this way, especially if they are going through bad times or need support?
- Friday: Please write down (reflect) how you think things might change if you responded to yourself in the same way you typically respond to a close friend when you’re suffering.
Why not try treating yourself like a good friend and see what happens?